02. I will respond by asking you five questions of a somewhat questionable nature.
03. Update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
04. Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post.
05. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
If you'd like to be interviewed but don't want to post this in your own LJ, you can always answer in another comment. Take that, meme!
Interview from punk_rock_nerd
1. Do you get compared to your brother much? Is there some sort of crazy sibling rivalry going on there?
I get a lot of comments from people who see us together for the first time. Basically, we look a lot alike. Personality-wise we are quite different, although there are plenty of similarities, and we share a lot of interests. But, in terms of personality types - I'm an introvert, Luke's an extrovert; Luke's a leader, I'm a negotiator - there are some pretty fundamental differences there. As for rivalry, there really isn't that much rivalry between us. We get along really well for siblings, and probably interact more like friends in a lot of ways.
2. Who is your favourite author, and why?
Going back to an earlier meme, I don't read nearly as many novels as I think I should. Now that I think of it, my favourite fictional form would be the short story. A really good short story can pack an awesome punch. Anyway, can't really name a single favourite author, but my top three would be (in chronological order) Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft and Roald Dahl. Lovecraft is almost an extension of Poe, he was very heavily influenced. As for novels, Elmore Leonard and Terry Pratchett are right up there, mainly for readability. And the realm of comics belongs to Frank Miller and Alan Moore, with Neil Gaiman as something of a part-time ruler.
3. Who is your favourite film character. What makes them appeal so much?
That's an easy one. The Dude, El Duderino, His Dudeness. Just simply the funniest, most likeable loser character ever. His attitude, his wit and his complete lack of control over his own destiny. Hmm... maybe he's not a character you want to over analyse. Whatever. The Dude abides.
4. You're an athiest, according to one of the other interviews. You don't believe in any higher power. Do you ever feel lonely, or regretful regarding your lack of faith?
Loneliness is something everyone has to deal with in their lives. Coping with it by talking to some invisible entity doesn't really seem like a very good solution to me. I guess I'd call myself a humanist. I'm interested in people, in what they have to offer, what they need, what I can do for them and they can do for me. To me, that's a more fulfilling way of going through life than doing everything for some external entity. If I believe that life is just about how people interact with each other in this world, rather than as some test to see if I qualify for the next, my interactions become more meaningful. So, really, I'm more comfortable with that world view than I ever was with a religious one.
5. Where did your username: yak_boy come from?
Back in high school, a friend of mine was obsessed with Ren & Stimpy, which heavily featured yaks. That, coupled with the fact that in certain European languages my name is pronounced Ya-ko-po or Ya-kob, led him to brand me with that particular nickname. It's not something I get called a lot in real life, however, it's mainly my online identity, which I've used since I was dialling BBSs.